Know your customer (KYC) is the process of a business identifying and verifying the identity of its clients. The term is also used to refer to the bank and anti-money laundering regulations which governs these activities. The objectives of KYC guidelines is to prevent financial institutions from being used, intentionally or unintentionally, by criminal elements for money laundering activities. Related procedures also enable banks to better understand their customers and their financial dealings.
Bina Artha potential client’s identification begins with our field staffs checking whether the potential client has fulfilled the administrative requirements or not. The required KYC’s documents includes Resident Identity Card and Family Card. The documents are used to ensure that the client is an Indonesian citizen, living in Indonesia, and stays in the particular area stated in their documents. This determines if she will get access to the financial services we offer.
The next step is that the field staff conducts an assessment on the business’s capacity and ability of the client and his family by enquiring their business information’s such as:
- The client’s business type (to ensure we are not supporting illegal activities).
- Income average.
- Client’s asset ownership data.
- Details on the client’s business including the location, business cycle, business income and expenses, and income fluctuation.
- Details on client’s economic situation including family revenue, family costs, loan history with BinaArtha and other financial institutions.
Based on the above information, the field officer will be able to identify the eligibility of the client to obtain working capital. In addition, we also collect information related to the family cash flow and the client’s business in order to reduce the possibility of lending to High Risk Customers. After obtaining all the information, the field officer will verify the documents to ensure its validity and the statements given for their reliability.
The potential client’s verification steps are as follows:
- Checking the social environment (neighbours and surrounding).
- Checking the business environment.
- Conducting the client’s house mapping.
- Ensuring that the client’s signature specimen is the same as their ID Card signature.
- Acquiring the information of the guarantor who will share the responsibility in case of client default.
In group lending, the Know Your Customer principle implementation procedure is strengthened by requiring the client to follow all of the lending process flow, such as Client Quality Assurance check, Compulsory Group Training, Group Recognition Test, and (for repeat clients) Loan Utilization check. All of these process allows the staff to know their client better and for the client to examine their group members better and create trust among themselves.
In individual lending, where higher loan size is given without group guarantee, we check the credit history of the clients (from all institutions) through a system called SLIK from OJK which acts as a credit bureau.
In the end, through all the information gained and the documents checked, the field officer can make a comprehensive assessment of the potential client and their eligibility to become Bina Artha’s client. We also can use the information to identify among those, clients who are of higher risk than the other and which may require a special attention. All clients of Bina Artha will have their data reported to Bank Indonesia and OJK to be included in their credit history record. The client’s data will also be reported to PPATK in order to avoid or reduce the potential of High Risk Clients.
All employees at Bina Artha are required to protect the company from fraud or other inappropriate behavior. One of the ways that can be done is by reporting every fraud action through the Whistle Blower Channel.
A whistle Blower is someone who reports issues related to inappropriate behaviour (mal-practice, immorality, illegal acts, unethical acts, theft, and embezzlement) or other potential problems which needs to be resolved immediately.
Advantages of having Whistle blower System:
- The whistle blower identity will be protected and hence they won’t be harmed in anyway while reporting against behavior of their colleagues.
- The whistle blower can easily report all inappropriate behavior through every communication channel, such as toll-free number, Whatsapp, and e-mail.
- There is a special team that is responsible for following up and handling the report.
- Problems will be resolved faster by having a whistle blower team who are dedicated and are able to directly communicate with the person in charge up to the director level.
The communication channel is faster as the whistle blower can direclty report all the potential frauds to his supervisor.
Ethical Codes provide principles on general code of conduct and ethics for all employees and also professionalism principles and working perseverence. Bina Artha realizes that consistent implementation of ethical codes can continuously increase the value and growth of Bina Artha’s business. All the employees are bound to follow the company ethical codes well in order to provide the best services to clients and other external parties.
Bina Artha has Company Values while applying the ethical codes at the work place, such as, transparency, integrity, teamwork, acountability, appropriateness and worthiness. As all employees consistently applying those values, Bina Artha will be able to continuously grow and develop to achieve its mission well.
Bina Artha always ensures that all employees follow the ethical code of conduct, as follows:
- Not accepting any tips or facilities, both tangible and intangible, from any client in any form for whatever reason.
- Not reporting any false or wrong information to supervisor or to the company.
- Not sharing company’s confidential information, both technical and non-technical to third parties.
- Not allowed to share, change, or delete password for system provided by the company. Not allowed to give access rights to the system to any other person than who is intended.
- Not allowed to be biased in acquiring clients or choosing vendors.
- Avoiding any activities which result in conflict of interest or disrupt their independency, objectivity, time punctuality, performance and responsibility efficency, or are able to discredit, humiliate, or are against Bina Artha.
- Maintain all the company assets which are under the employees’ responsibility.
- Not allowed to give any impression that his personal political views and acts reflected Bina Artha’s views and behaviors to others.
- Bina Artha will not tolerate any harrasment by or against its employees.
- Not allowed to be involved in any kind of criminal acts, which is considered illegal under Indonesian law.
- Not allowed to lend or borrow money from other staff or employees, or clients, or other parties that work with Bina Artha as goods or services vendors.
- Must always display high ethical standard while interacting with partners, vendors, and clients.
Any violation of the Ethical Codes that result in the company’s loss, both material and immaterial, will be processed in accordance with the company’s regulation: from termination of employment to being sanctioned with Indonesian civil law or criminal law that is currently applicable.